Monday, March 22, 2010

"Either way, there's something WRONG with you!"

To inaugurate this playground where rampant freckles will be regularly sprayed with a dose of Round Up stemming from not a bottle, but an otherwise healthy keyboard, let's address two defensive declarations Kate lovers oppose to those of us who are not swayed by her long curls and swinging oranges imposed under our noses under a dirty t-shirt. Taste, they say, cannot be discussed. Well, we will discuss ours here, and if Kate tastes like canned spinach boiled in cod liver oil to us, what are those who see her as a heart carved in pink marshmallow are going to do about it? (Reminder: pink marshmallow is full of yucky processed ingredients.)



1. "You can't think for yourself, you just hopped on the Kate Hate Bandwagon!"

Read-between-the-lines subtitles: "And I hate you for this!" "You endanger my own feelings of who I am by not loving the same person I love!"

Easy, sweeties. You probably hate Jack enough to stuff his beard into his throat until he turns blue and makes your day. (I do too.) Because most of Kate's most offended lovers are probably Skaters, although there are some other brands of lovers that can be found here and there.

But when people go on saying that we jumped on a bandwagon and can't think for ourselves, I almost take umbrage. Our brain is pretty healthy, thank you very much. And, oh, lookie, we also make decisions that you would approve of! Like loving Sawyer, or Locke, or, heck, LOST! Oops, sorry, we're so used to be mindless puppets, we even jumped on the LOST bandwagon. I know, shame. We didn't do it on purpose we were hypnotized, claimed, infected. Tat's wi we lost aor abiliti too right corectly as wel.

2. "You're just jealous."

Contrary to number 1, which usually comes from female fans, this one tends to be filled with testosterone and psychology -101. There's no blaming our opposite gender to having noticed how us ladies can get into a good mud fight, thanks to collective memories and half of what Darwin's work have taught us. But this is a tiny bit of a maybe slight generalization, and again I almost take umbrage. Nobody has ever explained what I should be jealous about, in the first instance. I'd like to know, because my bandwagon kind of brain can't see the signs until it is pointed to the right car with a giant spotlight.

I'm not on a bandwagon where I had to pay a ticket to jump in to actually have a right to say that I don't like this Kate Karachter made of Self selfing. And jealousy? I need a better kind of accusation to show my teeth against.

Kate has outstayed her welcome right past the Pilot. We utterly dislike her, dislike how she has been written, we want her dead, and no matter what her fanbase will say, there are plenty of valid reasons not to like canned spinach boiled in cod liver oil. Not that we discuss with those who eat that dish.

5 comments:

  1. I didn't mind Kate overall for the first two seasons, but have hated her ever since the revenge sex she had with Sawyer against Jack in season 3.

    I thought the writers were going to try to manipulate us to liking her last season, but turning her into a baby napper wasn't a step in the right direction. This season all she seems to do is run around with no aim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In spite of the fact that I have always had difficulty thinking for myself, am jealous of most women I see, and actually enjoy spinach cooked in cod liver oil, that was still a terrific post to initiate our new playground. I couldn't love you more. Keep the fun coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent start! As I try to gather my thoughts for a first post, I wonder if I can do it half this well!
    I feel that if we were 'jumping on a bandwagon' it would have been a large collective jump rather than a momentary dislike grown into a deep hatred for the character. I know the moment that I began to hate her, as opposed to just general dislike and I'm sure its not the same moment for all of us.
    As for the jealousy, rationally, the boys must be right-we MUST be jealous of Kate-you know, the murderer, the one who can't make up her mind, the one who goes to bed next to a jungle with a creepy monster flying through it... You know, as opposed to *possibly* being jealous of Evangeline herself, you know, the real woman, the successful actress, who probably makes as much per episode as each of us makes in a whole year and probably won't have to work another day in her life, the one who's spent 6 amazing years in Hawaii. Oh, that's right, most men can't see past the looks of the actress to the personality of the fictional character behind them! I'm sure glad I'm a XX!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kally, I'm one excited reader who can't wait for your first post. From what I've heard, white gloves are not quite your thing when it comes to Kate. If it is so I'm already a fan of yours waiting to go all "Muwahahaha!!! Take that, Kate!" on this side of the screen while reading you. :D

    And yes, we're jealous of 24/7 paparazzi's targets. Obviously. ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I've got my first post just about done...just in time...but now I've got to find the perfect pics to go along with it, and then figure out how to post it :D so it may be a few days.

    ReplyDelete

Your input is welcome. Please do help keeping the interactions on a courteous level.